Subject: Little Brown Moths everywhere
Location: Northern Virginia
February 2, 2014 7:10 am
These little guys seem to have taken up residence in my home Springfield, VA. Mostly in the kitchen but they show up in the bathrooms etc too. Seem to be coming form within the house but I am not sure. I have brought some old firewood in this winter. Any help on an ID is greatly appreciated.
Signature: tom in Springfield, va

Indian Meal Moth

Indian Meal Moth

Dear Tom,
This is an Indian Meal Moth,
Plodia interpunctella, a species with larvae that infest stored grain products, including flour and corn meal.  Check your pantry to see if you have a forgotten container of oatmeal that has become infested.  You can read more about the Indian Meal Moth on BugGuide.

Location: Springfield, Virginia

2 Responses to Indian Meal Moth

1. Caryl Anne says:

Indian meal moths can be difficult to get rid of so it may be best to hire a professional to come in to eliminate them. In my opinion, it can help save you time, money, and stress later on, especially if this has been an on going problem. Thanks for sharing!

We are going to disagree with you unless the person hired cleans out the pantry. Fumigating for the adult moths will not get to the source of the infestation, which is the larvae that are feeding on stored foods or pet food.