Subject: Please identify
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
This bug has wings and a proboscis thingy that it “bit” me with. The bite didn’t itch, it stung and hurt. I’ve lived in several states and never seen it before.
Signature: Thanks for your help, Amy

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Hi Amy,
You were bitten by an Assassin Bug in the genus
ZelusWhile the bite is reported to be painful and the effects last several days, there will be no lasting harm to you.  Assassin Bugs are important predators that occasionally find their way indoors.

Location: Arkansas

2 Responses to Assassin Bug bites Woman in Arkansas

1. Maynard says:

You can mix diatomaceous earth (diatomite pool filter powder at a pool supply store) with paint and paint around door jams and windows and floor trim and ceiling. I use a blacklight bulb and paint the reflector/fixture also. I use a white paint. It should feel rough when dry. 16oz water + 4 oz paint + 1 packed borax scoop (4 oz, packed) of D.E. This mix is pretty watery, looks like white wash, almost invisible when dry.

Thanks for that very interesting tip which we presume is meant to repel insects from entering a home.