Subject: Never seen this bug before
Location: Limpopo, hoedspruit (lowveld)
January 31, 2014 9:13 am
Hi, I saw this caterpillar in our garden and wonder if you could help to ID it.
Area: South Africa, Lowveld
near Hoedspruit, Limpopo
Season: summer 31 January 2014
Size: about 1.5 cm in length and 1 cm wide
I live in the Balule nature reserve thus it’s a wilderness area
Thank you
Signature: Laetitia

What's That Grub?

What’s That Grub?

Hi Laetitia,
This is not a Caterpillar, but we do believe it is a larval insect.  In our opinion, this is most likely a Beetle Grub, though we would not rule out that it might be a Sawfly Larva.  While your individual looks very different from the larvae in the links we provided, we wanted to show you some examples of possibly classifications.  Knowing the plant this larva was feeding upon might help with the identification.

What's That Grub???

What’s That Grub???

Location: Limpopo, South Africa

22 Responses to Unknown Red Grub from South Africa: Beetle or Sawfly???

1. Holly Meyers says:

We were in Timbavati Game Reserve back in Sept…I took a picture of a beetle that was “passing” something like this….I am trying to find out what type of beetle this is….here do I send the photo for any help?
    Thank you

2. Holly Meyers says:

Did we ever figure out this bug?

We have not. Did you ever submit your image? We have nothing in our archive from Timbavati Game Reserve. You may resubmit your images using the Ask What’s That Bug? link on our site. If you already submitted it, we should have emailed you directly. Please put Timbavati Game Reserve in both the subject line and location field.

3. Holly Meyers says:

Yes, I did submit it…will re-submit with Timbavati in the title and location…..thank you!

h

Sorry, we receive so much mail we do miss things. That why we suggested the subject line. It will catch our attention.

4. Holly Meyers says:

Is OK..you got it now:) Thank you!

We did not receive any emails with the requested information “Grub from Timbavati Game Reserve” in the subject line. Are you using our standard form that is accessed by clicking the Ask What’s That Bug? link on our site?

5. Holly Meyers says:

Yes I did…and I received an email saying that you did get it, and would be looking into it….

6. Holly Meyers says:

Want me to re-send?

7. Holly Meyers says:

OK…standby…..

8. Holly Meyers says:

OK..not sure what is going on..have sent the 2 pictures..individually….not sure what else to do, but keep trying….here it goes …again….

9. Holly Meyers says:

I have sent one…..if you don’t get it this time, is there somewhere else I can send it? I know AOL sometimes has issues with other addresses….

10. Holly Meyers says:

OK..just got a reply from you all, that you got it…..with Timbavati in the Subject line…see below, copied and paste

“Thank you for submitting your identification request.

Please understand that we have a very small staff that does this as a labor of love. We cannot answer all submissions (not by a long shot). But we’ll do the best we can!”

11. Holly Meyers says:

Thank you very much..I saw the copy that you sent to me…will see what happens! 🙂
    Sorry I am causing extra work…..

Holly

12. Holly Meyers says:

Hi….I have not heard back from anyone…was just curious as to if you found the picture or not? and if so, figured out the bug?

Holly