Subject: My new roommates!
Location: St. Thomas, USVI
Hi bugman,
As I’ve been traveling around the US for the past year, I’ve been able to identify quite a lot of my “new roommates” through your great web resource here. (Thanks!) It’s been a fun and comforting challenge to observe, document, and identify each diverse creature that I’ve come across. Currently, I’m in the Virgin Islands (so, although it is winter season, the temperatures still range from about 74-84 degrees right now). This little guy appears to be a thread-waisted wasp to me, but just wanted to seek your expert opinion.
I’m new to the area, but I’ve seen a few of them in my apartment over the past couple days, and I definitely didn’t think it was a wasp at first just because they are a much smaller size than I usually associate with wasps. I also have quite a funny group of case-bearing cloth larva living here as well, and I see the signs of termites here, but have yet to spot any individual termites. So, there are lots of friends! 🙂
Signature: Rachel

Ensign Wasp

Ensign Wasp

Hi Rachel,
This Ensign Wasp really is your friend.  The female Ensign Wasp lays her eggs on the ootheca or egg case of a Cockroach, and the larval wasp eats the eggs and developing nymphs of the Cockroach, helping to control the Cockroach populations in homes.  The abdomen of the Ensign Wasp bobs up and down as it moves about, much like the action of signalling with a flag, hence the common name.

Daniel, thank you! Very nice news to hear about the ensign wasp helping to control the cockroach population. I appreciate your help in identifying it! 🙂 Have a great February!
Rachel

Location: St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

2 Responses to Ensign Wasp from the Virgin Islands

1. Patty says:

Hi thanks for this….I stumbled across this while trying to ID another bug I found in my house. I’ve had these Ensign Wasps in my house in Phoenix AZ, and could not figure out what the heck they were; they looked to me like big flys with big grasshopper back legs. From these pics, I think they were Ensign Wasps.
    BTW I’ve not yet ID the other bug….about 1/4″ long, brown, slender oval body, with two long pincers by his mouth…any ideas what it could be? I think it bit me on the arm and now I have a 1/2″ semi-itchy slightly raised welt on my arm.