Subject: A weird insect
Location: Greece,Rhodes
January 30, 2014 6:25 am
Hello, sorry about the comment but I was confused of this site. Well,this insect is almost 2 cm long, it hasn’t got any wings, its brown colour (near to red ),and the rest of it’s body is bee’s colour. It has got 6 legs and when i touched it, it made a sound like a hamster.
Signature: Manol

Velvet Ant

Velvet Ant

Hi Manol,
Though in English it is commonly called a Velvet Ant, this is actually a flightless female wasp in the family Mutillidae.  They are known for makings sounds as you described.  We found a very similar looking Velvet Ant from Greece on FlickR, but it is not identified to the species level.

Location: Rhodes, Greece

3 Responses to Velvet Ant from Greece

1. Rose says:

I came across this while trying to ID an image of the same insect, thought I’d share that I found a potential exact match: Mutilla quinquemaculata. Compare to the images here: http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id281310/

2. Dave Lucas says:

I found one and got a few photos in my family’s village Near Nafpaktos on the Greek mainland.