Subject: Aquatic Larvae
Location: Western WA
Love your site! Hopeing you can identify the aquatic larvae living in my 1000 gallon indoor pond. There may be more than one species – not sure. They make a loose case, dont seem to like bright light, and i think predominately live in the sediment and bio filter. I also suspect they ate all the baby guppies. The water tempature averages 74 degrees. I live in WA State, its January but i suspect they have been in there for at least a few months. Thanks!
Signature: Jerry

Aquatic Creature

Aquatic Creature

Hi Jerry,
Thanks to your excellent photo, we believe an expert will not have much trouble identifying this aquatic creature, however, that is beyond our ability.  We are posting your images and perhaps someone with more knowledge will write in with a comment.

Aquatic Creature

Aquatic Creature

Location: Washington

4 Responses to Unknown Aquatic Creatures

1. Amy Meier says:

First instinct leads me to believe that it is a freshwater Polychaete, of which there are 13 species in North America. According to wiki, “Polychaetes have two different lifestyles; some are active crawlers and swimmers, but most are sessile tube-dwellers.

These worms are reminiscent of centipedes because they bear paddle-like legs on each segment. However, these appendages are not jointed, but are merely extensions of the body wall. Each appendage bears tiny hairs that aid in traction or current creation. This large number of hairs is the basis for the name of these worms (“Poly”=many, “chaeta”=hairs).

The polychaete head is much more developed than that of oligochaetes or leeches. It contains antennae, eyes, and feeding palps (in some species tentacles are substituted for feeding).

If you Google images for polychaetes, they seem to fit the bill best compared to your photos.