Ed. Note:  This posting was created from a followup correspondence from Curious Girl who submitted some photos of Lady Beetle Larvae for identification.  The addition of images of a different species of an adult Lady Beetle resulted in a distinct posting.

Subject: Lady Bird Nymphs* from Portugal
Location: Portugal
January 28, 2014
Danke Daniel (I am in Germany at the moment, soon to return to my beloved Portugal),
It’s hard to keep all the insect terms straight but that’s what is so great about the site is it educates us neophytes :^D
So, the 7 spot at least I have pics of in her (his) adult form as well, but in Porto (about 30km or so southwest).
And a couple others since I’m here and a little loopy tired…
So glad to know what I was seeing. Seems the 7 spot is native then to Europe even if the other is not. Funny how humans have so changed the world even beyond the Asian Lady. :^)
Muito obrigada to Mardikavana for the IDs. Awesome!
Later I’ll send some of the Asian variety spotted (ha ha) in Germany. :^)

Unknown Lady Beetle from Portugal

Cream Streaked Lady Beetle from Portugal

Hi again Curious Girl,
We have posted your new photos of a Lady Beetle, but we have not had any luck determining the species.

Ed. Note:  Thanks to a comment from Curious Girl, we now know that this is a Cream Streaked Lady Beetle, Harmonia quadripunctata, which is pictured on Wikimedia Commons .

Lady Beetle

Cream Streaked Lady Beetle

Location: Portugal

8 Responses to Cream Streaked Lady Beetle from Portugal

1. Cu says:

Hey Daniel, I think this Lady Beetle is “Harmonian Quadripunctata” or the highly variable (like the Asian) 4 Spot, aka Cream-Streaked Lady.

The 4 Spot/Cream-Streaked is supposed to have red legs and be smaller than the Asian which as you can see seems true as I have small hands but s/he makes my fingers seem large.

They also have an almost “w” (or “m”) on their pronotum (carapace?) similar to the Asian but it’s more of a spotted, connect the dots version.

This one flew onto my bed in July 2013, and I thought s/he was beautiful.

My understanding though is that s/he may have just emerged and that the spots and color on the pronotum would get darker with age. Not sure if that’s true or not…

2. Curious Girl says:

Er, of course I meant for my name in the comment I just left to be the one I’ve always used here. =]

3. Curious Girl says:

Oh, and just to add, the German name is “Kopfvierpunkt Marienkäfer” which translates to Head 4 Point/Spot Lady Beetle.