Subject: Pyrrhocoridae
Location: South San Francisco, CA
I like to send flowers to my girlfriend (email photos), as I come across many nice landscapes while I’m in the field. Today these yellow daisies caught my eye, and the colorful insect made it all the more interesting. Thanks to your site, and the rest of the web, I believe this to be a type of cotton stainer in the Pyrrhocoridae Family.
The last few weeks have been unseasonably warm with almost no rain. We had a dry cold snap in December. Today was cloudy, cool and misty. Is this insect usually found in Northern California?
Signature: Teltec

Cotton Stainer

Whitecrossed Seed Bug

Dear Teltec,
We agree that this appears to be a Cotton Stainer in the genus
Dysdercus, and we have not been able to locate any information confirming them occurring in California.  According to BugGuide’s data, there are some species found in Arizona, including the Two Spotted Cotton Stainer, Dysdercus bimaculatus, but this is most definitely not that species.  The Texas Entomology page Checklist of North American Cotton Stainers does contain sightings in California.  With so much global travel, it is possible this was a recent introduction.

Correction  May 3, 2014:  Whitecrossed Seed Bug
Thanks to a comment from Scott Carroll, we have updated the posting to include the correction on this Whitecrossed Seed Bug, Neacoryphus bicrucis, which is pictured on BugGuide.

Location: San Francisco, California

2 Responses to Whitecrossed Seed Bug

1. Hi, rather than a cotton stainer in California, this is the similarly colorful Whitecrossed Seed Bug (Neacoryphus bicrucis, a Lygaeid), as you noted in your posting for another inquiry on this species on January 8, 2013 .