Subject: Florida land snails
Location: Florida
My sister was given two land snails to care for. She said that they were collected in Florida. That’s all I know. I want to be sure these are not pest species, and secondly, if she decides to care for them I need to know what they might eat. Thanks.
Signature: Bruce

Snail From Florida

Snail From Florida

Hi Bruce,
We can post this request this morning, but we haven’t the time to research it right now, but we will try to identify your Snails later.  We have to confess that we don’t know much about Molluscs, but we do have a reader, Susan J. Hewitt, who frequently identifies Snails for us.  Perhaps she will read the posting and provide a comment.

Snail From Florida

Snail From Florida

Another Snail from Florida

Another Snail from Florida

Location: Florida

9 Responses to Two Land Snails from Florida

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

Hello Bruce. The first snail is Euglandina rosea, the “rosy wolf snail” — it is carnivorous, and eats other snails. The second snail is Zachrysia provisoria, the “garden provisoria”, which can be a pest as it enjoys fruits and vegetables. These snails are both native to Florida; neither species can survive in the wild in cold climates, but both species have been introduced to other tropical localities (either on purpose or by accident) with unfortunate effects.

P.S. Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, but I have neglected to check WTB recently.

2. Susan J. Hewitt says:

3. Susan J. Hewitt says:

P.P.S. My mistake: Zachrysia provisoria is introduced to Florida, and is native to the island of Cuba.

• Susan J. Hewitt says:

The common name is actually the “garden zachrysia”; I am on Nevis, West Indies and currently half-brained from jet-lag.

4. zobi khan says:

hi can u help me to identify some snails