Subject: What is this and how damaging is it to my garden
Location: Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
We live in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and I keep finding this beetle on the Corn. I have not seen them on any other plants so far. I am hoping it is not detrimental to our garden and would like to know how to get rid of them.
Signature: Julie Holl

Trachyderes succinctus on corn

Trachyderes succinctus on corn

Longhorned borer beetle in family Cerambycidae.  Too blurry to identify the species for certain.

Thank you. I will try to get a better photo, but I seem to have wasps hanging out in the corn also. Do they damage the corn?

Wasps might be hunting for caterpillars and we doubt they are damaging the corn.  We decided to take a second look at your Longicorn, and we found a posting in our archives of Trachyderes succinctus that shows the black and red striped antennae as well as the body markings that are shared with your individual.  A second posting in our archive of Trachyderes succinctus from the Virgin Islands includes this observation by the person who submitted the images:  “It likes rotting fruit but absolutely loves to go after young corn. It nibbles away at the base of the ear, leaving a blackish goo and killing the ear. It decimated my back yard corn crop a couple of years ago and I have not been able to replant successfully since.”

Thank you so much….