Subject: Lady Bird Nymphs* from Portugal
Location: Guimarães, Portugal
Hi Daniel!
Haven’t had much internet for a few weeks due to travel (back in Germany currently) so had much to catch up on at the site.
Saw that the bug of the month was… ‘metamorphosis’ but not sure if it’s specifically the Lady Bird (Bug) or of any kind. However, I’ve been meaning to send in the cool Lady Bug nymphs I saw in Guimarães (the 2012 European Capitol of Culture) last May. I think one may be an Asian but the other one is perhaps a more native Lady Bug (but I don’t know which one).
I think it’s important to show pics of this stage of the Lady Bug as so few know these are related to Lady Bugs so kill them. I know I used to be a bit afraid of them until I found out what they were.
Thanks again for such a cool site.
Signature: Curious Girl

Lady Beetle Larva

Lady Beetle Larva:  Coccinella septempunctata

Dear Curious Girl,
We cannot say for certain that the one larva is a Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle because it looks different that the examples on BugGuide.  You comment about the importance of people being able to recognize the Lady Beetle larvae is well taken.  We get countless requests to identify them and determine if they are harmful, and most folks are quite surprised to learn their true identity.
*  P.S.  These are larvae, not nymphs, which is a term reserved for immature insects that do not undergo complete metamorphosis.

Lady Beetle Larva

The black and white larva is quite unusual.

Possibly a different species of Lady Beetle Larva

Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle Larva

Update:  Seven Spotted Lady Beetle Larva and Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle Larva
Thanks to a comment from Mardikavana, we now know that the:  “First larvae should be
Coccinella septempunctata [Seven Spotted Lady Beetle see BugGuide]and second one belongs to Propylea quatuordecimpunctata [Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle see BugGuide].”  It is interesting that both species are listed on BugGuide which is devoted to North American insects, yet both sightings were in Portugal.  According to BugGuide, the Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle is:  “Non-native; southeastern Canada and New England west to Great Lakes, south to Florida. Range apparently still spreading.”  Of the Seven Spotted Lady Beetle, BugGuide notes:  “It has been repeatedly introduced in the US from Europe, to control aphids.
This widespread palearctic species was intentionally introduced into N. America several times from 1956 to 1971 for biological control of aphids. All of those attempts apparently failed in getting C. septempunctata established, but in 1973 an established population was found in Bergen Co., New Jersey. This population is thought to have been the result of an accidental introduction rather than a purposeful one (Angalet and Jacques, 1975). Since 1973, this species has spread naturally and been colonized and established in Delaware, Georgia, and Oklahoma. (Gordon 1985)
It has since spread throughout N. Amer.”

Danke Daniel (I am in Germany at the moment, soon to return to my beloved Portugal),
It’s hard to keep all the insect terms straight but that’s what is so great about the site is it educates us neophytes :^D
So, the 7 spot at least I have pics of in her (his) adult form as well, but in Porto (about 30km or so southwest).
And a couple others since I’m here and a little loopy tired…
So glad to know what I was seeing. Seems the 7 spot is native then to Europe even if the other is not. Funny how humans have so changed the world even beyond the Asian Lady. :^)
Muito obrigada to Mardikavana for the IDs. Awesome!
Later I’ll send some of the Asian variety spotted (ha ha) in Germany. :^)

Seven Spotted Lady Beetle

Lady Beetle

Hi again Curious Girl,
Neither species is native to North America, and BugGuide did not indicate if both are European.  We will do additional research on the Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle.  According to Discover Life:  “
Propylaea quatuordecimpunctata is a European lady beetle that was probably accidentally introduced to North America by shipping in the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1960’s. These distinctively coloured little (4 or 5mm) beetles did not show up in Ontario until the 1990s, and only became common in the late 1990’s.”
P.S.  We have added your photo of the adult Lady Beetle to the original posting.  We will create a unique posting for your other Lady Beetle images.

Location: Guimaraes, Portugal

4 Responses to Lady Beetle Larvae from Portugal

1. Ando Vaan (aka Mardikavana) says:

First larvae should be Coccinella septempunctata and second one belongs to Propylea quatuordecimpunctata.

Thanks so much for the identification Mardikavana. We will search for some links to other images on the internet and update the posting.

2. Ando Vaan (aka Mardikavana) says:

Actually both seven-spot ladybird and 14-spotted ladybird are widespread in Paleartic ecozone and thus can be found in Europe and Asia.
    The depicted imago on the lower picture is not seven-spot ladybird. Are there more photos of that ladybird imago?