Subject: Black Swallowtail Butterfly?
Location: Coryell County, Texas
Hello, I hope you’ve both been well.
I took these photos last February 7, 2013, and I never sent them because I didn’t think the quality of the photos was very sharp. I think I’ve seen Pipevine Swallowtails in our garden before, but I think this may be a Black Swallowtail? Or a dark phase of a Tiger Swallowtail? They are confusing to me! So lovely, though.
The butterflies like these native plants in the creek bed.
I’ll keep trying to get better photos of the beautiful swallowtails… the quest continues.
Thank you!
I found this reference: https://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg266.html
Signature: Ellen

Black Swallowtail

Male Black Swallowtail:  Note orange and black spot on inner margin of hindwings

Hi Ellen,
You are correct that this is a Black Swallowtail, and it is a male as evidenced by the yellow markings.  Compare your individual to this image posted to BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Males have more extensive broken yellow band. Note orange and black spot on inner margin of hindwings (Palamedes Swallowtail is otherwise very similar, above, but has no black center in the orange spot).”  The black center in the orange spot is clearly visible in one of your images.

Black Swallowtail

Black Swallowtail

Black Swallowtail

Black Swallowtail

Location: Coryell County, Texas