Subject: Is this a matisfly or a small mantis?
Location: Torrance, CA
Hi there,
Every now & then, one of these will come into the house. They are tiny… about .25″ in body length and have very long, jointed antenna. I’ve watched them hunt and they first feel something their antennae, use the antenna to size up the potential prey’s size and then snag it with their catching arms.
I’d never heard of a mantisfly, until reading about them a few minutes ago. Is this critter in the picture a small species of mantis, mantisfly or something else?
I confirm that I am the owner of this photograph, although I have it posted on other sites, too.
Thank you for your time & expertise 🙂
Signature: Jeffrey

Thread-Legged Bug

Thread-Legged Bug

Hi Jeffrey,
This Thread Legged Bug is in the Assassin Bug subfamily Emesinae.  We have photographed a very different looking Thread-Legged Bug at our Mount Washington, Los Angeles porch light, and though we have not taken any new photographs, we do see them quite regularly.

Thank you for your very quick reply & identification, Daniel! 🙂
Take care!
Jeffrey

Location: Torrance, California