Subject: Insect
Location: Uganda
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am looking to identifying this insect, it was on Uganda’s forest floor. If you know what it is I would be very grateful.
Regards,
Jaq
Signature: Thank you

Katydid

Katydid:  Pronomapyga grandis

Dear Jaq,
This beautiful insect is a Katydid and we are going to attempt a species identification for you.  We didn’t have any luck with an identification so we will contact Piotr Naskrecki to get some assistance.

Piotr Naskrecki provides a genus identification
This is an interesting coincidence – I am now in Mozambique, and just yesterday I collected, for the first time ever, a specimen of the same genus! This katydid belongs to the genus Poecilogramma (Phaneropterinae), but I would need to see more characters to be able to ID the species. These katydids are diurnal and probably toxic – they behave almost like tiger moths, flying slowly during the day and flashing brightly colored hind wings.
Cheers,
Piotr

Ed. Note:  The only images we managed to locate online from the genus are on SysTax of mounted specimens, captured in Tanzania in the 19th century.

Correction Courtesy of Piotr Naskrecki
I need to correct the ID of the pretty katydid from Uganda – it is not Poecilogramma, but its close relative Pronomapyga grandis. This species is known only from its holotype from “East Africa” and so the specimen from Uganda is only the second individual ever recorded.
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Uganda