Subject: Harvestman in Uruguay
Location: Salinas, Uruguay
I think this a Harvestman. I can’t find a picture quite like it. The two yellow dots on the triangle shaped body. It was dying when I took this photo so it is not standing up to give an accurate picture. The back legs are longer with little spikes on them. We live out in the country outside of Montevideo, Uruguay.
Signature: Ginger

Harvestman

Harvestman

Hi Ginger,
You are correct that this is a Harvestman in the order Opiliones.  Rod Crawford of the Burke Museum assisted in a species identification of a Harvestman from the Falkland Islands, and we will attempt to contact him to see if he can provide any additional information.

It resembles a gonyleptid, but the man you really want for this is Adriano Kury who is really The Man on South American harvestmen, especially of this group.
Rod Crawford, Burke Museum, Seattle, USA

Dear Adriano Kury,
Rob Crawford suggested I contact you regarding this Opiliones sighting nearby Montevideo, Uruguay.
You can also see the link here:  2014/01/24/harvestman-uruguay/
Thanks for any information you are able to provide.
Daniel Marlos
What’s That Bug?

Great, thank you.  I found a second one dead yesterday.  If I find a good, live one, I will try to get a picture of it “looking its best” to send to you for your collection!
Thank you
Ginger Kurowski

Adriano Kury Responds
Gonyleptinae – a male of Parampheres sp.
I don’t know which species, genus has not been revised, but there are not many species.
I believe a student of Ricardo is studying this animal, you might check with him.
Cheers
** PROF. DR. ADRIANO BRILHANTE KURY **
Dept. Invertebrados — Lab. Aracnologia
Museu Nacional, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro – RJ – BRAZIL

Estimado Daniel, El opilion es un Paramphere bimaculatus.
abrazo, Ricardo

Location: Salinas, Uruguay