Subject: What is this tiny insect in on my kitchen floor?
Location: North America, Queens, New York
January 12, 2014 9:55 am
I have observed this small bug on my kitchen floor for years but never gave them much thought as they are pretty small and seemed relatively harmless. However, I have noticed a great number of them recently and would like to know more about them and how to get rid of them if possible.
From what I can tell they are small (smaller than ants) and can move pretty fast for their size.
The larger specimens are about the size of an ant’s abdomen, while the smaller specimens seem smaller than flees.
I would really appreciate an identification on these little bugs, Thanks.
Signature: Answer to tiny kitchen bug

Springtail

Springtail

This is a Springtail, a benign, primitive hexapod that can become a nuisance in the home if they become too plentiful.  They tend to thrive and reproduce under damp conditions.  We believe this is an Elongate Bodied Springtail in the order Entomobryomorpha and you may verify that and get additional information on BugGuide.

Location: Queens, New York