Subject: Grasshopper from Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica
Hello Bugman,
could you help me to identify the exact species of this unusual Grasshopper that I photographed in Costa Rica?
Thank you very much!
Signature: Frank

Orthopteran

Grasshopper

Dear Frank,
Do you have an image that shows the antennae in their entirety?  The antennae are a very important diagnostic feature of insects and they should be included in images that you want to have identified.  We would not want to classify beyond the order Orthoptera without seeing the antennae.

Hello Daniel,
thank you so much for answering! I am attaching another pic that shows more of the antennae. Maybe you can work with that? I am afraid I was unable to take better pictures of that one…
Thank you so much!
Best regards from Lima
Frank

Orthopteran

Grasshopper Nicarchus erinaceus

Thanks Frank,
We would really love to know how long those antennae are.  We are uncertain if this is a Grasshopper or a Katydid, but we are leaning toward a Grasshopper.  We are going to try to contact Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki to see if he can provide any information.

I am pretty sure the antennae weren’t quite that long and that this was a grasshopper. Thanks again!

Piotr Naskrecki provides an identification:
The name of this grasshopper is Nicarchus erinaceus (Acrididae: Ommatolampidinae). Some species in this group have spines and bumps on their bodies, and characteristically flattened antennae.
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Costa Rica

2 Responses to Grasshopper from Costa Rica: Nicarchus erinaceus

1. Janice Glime says:

How can I find the address of a contributor? I would like Frank for permission to use his second image of Nicarchus erinaceus in my free online book on Bryophyte Ecology . I discuss this mimic in a chapter in interactions of mosses and insects and this would be a great image to illustrate it.

Hi Janice,
      This posting is over a year and a half old, and we are not able to trace the identity of the submitter because of the use of a first name only. Our submission form grants What’s That Bug? the right to post images and letters on our site and on WTB? authorized publications. Since your book will be free, you will not be profiting from the image. Frank who submitted the image might eventually write back if he sees your comment, but we do have permission, through our online form, to grant you permission to use the image. We have searched our archives and found the original, higher resolution file, and we will send it to you via your provided email account. Please credit What’s That Bug? and Frank.