Subject: What’s this bug
Location: Flint, MI
Hello guys, I’m in Flint Michigan this photo was taken on 10-28-13. I work in a store with a warehouse that receives shipments from Colorado on a weekly bases. I see this spider a lot or places back In the warehouse. Everyone hear thinks they come from the shipments. Our whole staffed would love to know what this guy is.
Signature: JP

Wolf Spider with Spiderlings

Wolf Spider with Spiderlings

Hi JP,
Your request arrived just prior to us leaving the office for a spell, and that is something we are doing again soon.  We postdate letters to go live in our absence, and we do not answer mail while we are away.  We apologize for the tardy response, but we figured that since this Wolf Spider sighting was not an isolated event, you might still want to know the answer.  Wolf Spider are considered harmless.  They are hunting spiders that do not build webs to snare prey.  The common name comes because of the way they pounce on their prey.  This is not a guy, but a gal.  Female Wolf Spiders are very maternal.  They drag their egg sacs with them and when the eggs hatch, the young Spiderlings crawl onto the female’s back and ride around for a short period of time before dispersing.  If you look closely, you can see the Spiderlings in your image.  This may be a Rabid Wolf Spider,
Rabidosa rabida, which is picture on BugGuide.  Once again, despite the name, this is a harmless, local species for you.  Your request will post live to our site next week.

Location: Flint, MIchigan