Subject: Caterpillar from Peru
Location: Central Peru
today I am sending you a pic of a caterpillar from the cloudforest of Central Peru. Would you be able to identify the species? Thanks you in advance for your always great help!
Signature: Frank

What's That Caterpillar???

What’s That Caterpillar???

Hi Frank
We don’t recognize your caterpillar, but we can tell you that it will metamorphose into a moth rather than a butterfly.  We will be out of the office in mid January, and we like to postdate some submissions so that there are daily updates in our absence.  Your request will go live sometime next week.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in its identification.

Of course! I hope it is ok with you that I am sending you so many ID requests. I am well aware how popular your site is and that you cannot attend every request. But I still have a lot of unresolved (bug) issues, haha! And maybe some of my submissions will also be interesting for you.
So thank you very much, Daniel, and have a good trip, wherever you’re going!
Frank

Your photos are lovely Frank, and they are a marvelous addition to our site.  January is the slowest time of the year for us, so right now, we are not troubled by the additional time it takes us to do some of your identifications.  Summer would be a totally different situation, as we sometimes get nearly 150 identification requests in a single day.

Location: Peru