Subject: Bugs around my cabin and on fire wood
Location: Conception bay,Newfoundland
Hi, I’ve noticed this little bug around my cabin on the plywood and on the firewood outside of the cabin, I’m located in Newfoundland , on the Avalon, conception Bay Area. Any idea as to what it is? The biggest one I’ve seen so far is about 3/8” long, and they jump also if disturbed. Lol
Signature: Jerry

Elongate-Bodied Springtail

Elongate-Bodied Springtail

Hi Jerry,
First we want to apologize for the tardy response, but our small staff cannot respond to all the mail we receive during busy months.  Also, we were away from the office when your request arrived.  As we are preparing for a week in the frigid midwest next week, we are going through old requests to find beautiful images or interesting submissions to go live in our absence.  This is unusual for us because this is a Springtail, but it is a very large Springtail.  We believe it is an Elongate Bodied Springtail in the genus
Pogonognathellus and you can compare your photos to the images on BugGuide.  Springtails are primitive hexapods and they help to break down organic matter, so they are beneficial.  At times, they can become plentiful, so they become a nuisance, but they are benign creatures.

Location: Conception Bay, Newfoundland, Canada