Subject: Bug/Beetle from Costa Rica
Location: Central Costa Rica
can you ID this red-headed guy I photographed at night in Costa Rica? Thank you very much again!
Signature: Frank

Unknown Red Headed Bug

Unknown Red Headed Bug

Hi Frank,
Our initial attempts to identify this red headed True Bug did not prove successful, but it does remind us of a red headed Coreid Bug,
Hypselonotus atratus, that we just posted.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with this one.

Karl Provides an identification
Hi Daniel and Frank:
Coreid bugs nearly always have prominent ocelli, the simple eyes on the top of the head, and much denser wing venation. This is actually a Cotton Stainer or Red Bug (Pyrrhocoridae: Pyrrhocorinae), probably Dysdercus obscuratus. The species has a very wide distribution (Texas to Peru) and is highly variable in appearance. Here is one more image posted on flickr.  Regards.  Karl

Thank you so much, Daniel! Please forward my thanks to Karl, if you have the time.
Best
Frank

just warning you Frank:  I will be away for a week and not posting.  Please don’t resume sending photos until January 22.  Your photos are quite beautiful.
Daniel

Thanks for the warning, Daniel! Have a good trip and you can count on getting more pictures from me after Jan. 22nd. You and your site are quite amazing!
Best
Frank

January 21, 2014
bring them on.

Location: Costa Rica