Subject: What is this?
Location: Culebra, Puerto Rico
January 13, 2014 6:09 am
This photo taken at my house in Puerto Rico on December 28th, 2013.
Signature: Barry

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Hi Barry,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, but we are not certain of the species.  The hairy legs are very distinctive and should not make species identification terribly difficult, however our initial web search did not produce any visual matches.  We are pressed for time right now, so we are posting this as unidentified and we will return to it this evening.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide a comment with an identification today.

Thank you for your reply. I’ve lived here for 17 years and this is the first time I’ve seen one of these

Identification Courtesy of Karl:
Hi Daniel and Barry:
It looks like a species in the genus Ecyrus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae: Pogonocherini), probably Ecyrus hirtipes. The species appears to be distributed through much of the West Indies; see examples from Martinique and Guadeloupe. The images I found on the Entomologie Coleopteres site are probably the best match (click on the images to enlarge) and appear to be from the Netherlands Antilles. The hairy legs do make for an unusual looking longicorn. Regards.  Karl

Thanks so much Karl.  We were just about to begin attempting an identification after returning from work.  We wonder if the species name hirtipes shares a common root with the adjective hirsute.

Thank you Dan and thank you Karl.
All the best,
Barry

Location: Culebra, Puerto Rico

One Response to Longhorned Borer Beetle from Puerto Rico: Ecyrus hirtipes

1. munchan says:

Dear sir

Hello
    I am looking for vary kinds of cerambycidae , prioinae let alone other interesting beetles from puerto rico. I want to buy dried insects.
    For more information, contack me please
    Thank you very much