Subject: What is this from the Peruvian Jungle?
Location: Southeast Peru (Manu National Park)
I hope you can help me to identify this creature which we encountered on a recent trip to the Peruvian Amazon Lowlands. I first saw it peeping out of a little groundhole in the mud on the riverbank, and some hours later it jumped out of my wife’s rubber boot ( At least I think it was the same creature). It then gave me some seconds to take its picture before running away. We were very intrigued by this creature, which was about 3 to 4 inches long.
Thank you for your help!
Signature: Frank

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

Dear Frank,
This is just about the most beautiful Mole Cricket in the family Gryllotalpidae (See BugGuide) we have ever seen, and we have gotten Mole Cricket images from Australia, Europe, North America, Africa, the Middle East and even islands like Madagascar.  We even have attempted the identification of a Mole Cricket from a drawing.

Update:  January 12, 2014
We forgot to mention that those appear to be Termite wings near the Mole Cricket.

Location: Manu National Park, Peru

2 Responses to Mole Cricket and Termite Wings from Peru

1. frankth says:

Hello Bugman, you are also right about the termite wings. We had a little flying termite infestation outside our cabin right when we found the cricket in my wife’s boot…

Best regards from Lima
    Frank