Subject: Identify this bug
Location: Burbank, CA
I have seen this bug twice in our kitchen. The first one, I let go in the garden several weeks ago. Tonight this one appeared on the window sill in the kitchen.
My question is, is he/she beneficial or harmful insect to have around.
Regards,
Signature: Doug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear Doug,
This Brown Marmorated Stink Bug,
Halyomorpha halys, is an invasive, exotic species that was accidentally introduced from Asia.  According to BugGuide:  “first collected in 1998 in Allentown, PA, but probably arrived several years earlier damage reported in the US to apples, pears, peaches, cherries, corn, tomatoes, peppers, soybean, ornamentals… .”  It is anticipated that as the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug spreads unchecked across North America, it will result in a significant threat to our agricultural business.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug also creates a nuisance for homeowners as it seeks shelter from inclement weather by attempting to hibernate inside homes and other buildings when temperatures begin to drop.

Location: Burbank, California

One Response to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. sebastian says:

hi really like how you put so much details