Subject: long horn ball bearer
Location: Guamal, Meta, Colombia, South America
Greetings Bugman! im incredibly pleased to have found one of these again and this time with macro gear at hand. This critter was in the the eastern Llanos (plains) of Colombia in early January . It is about 1 cm in size. I had seen one of these in another part of Colombia a few years back but only had a normal lens with me. At the time i had no idea what i was looking at before it flew (or leapt) off! I can’t find any pictures of a similar specimen anywhere although it must be a close relative to Bocydium globulare. what are the odds of this being a new species? Thank you!
Signature: Nelson O Saarni

Treehopper

Ant-Mimic Treehopper

Hi Nelson,
This is an amazing looking Treehopper.  Many species of Treehoppers have projections that resemble thorns.  We will try to research the species tomorrow.

Treehopper

Ant-Mimic Treehopper

Update:  The more we look at these photos, the more we are struck by the resemblance to an Ant that the projections have.  Ants are symbiotic with many honeydew producing Hemipterans as evidenced by this FlickeR posting.  We pursued that idea in the web search and we discovered this Ant Mimic Treehopper, Cyphonia clavata, on FlickR.  We verified the name of the Insect Museum website as well as on the Fauna of Paraguay website.  Perhaps being able to mimic an unpalatable Ant helps to protect the more tasty Treehopper.

Location: Guamal, Meta, Colombia