Subject: What the…..?
Location: South Park, PA
October 29, 2013 11:04 am
Found this when I returned home on October 28, 2013, in the middle of the mattress my son sleeps on. We had just relocated a bunch of furniture and shampooed the carpets on the entire floor the day before. The legs are very tiny and look barely capable of hauling its load, and I couldn’t make out a head. The ”shell” on its back appeared penetrable and had the feel of bendable plastic. I did not let it crawl on me but was able to pick it up by the back of its ”shell” without any risk of its legs/mouth making contact with my skin. It moved with the characteristics of a hermit crab.
Signature: CreepedOut

Blood Engorged Tick

Blood Engorged Tick

Dear CreepedOut in South Park
Do you have a pet that goes outdoors and then crawls into your son’s bed?  This is a blood engorged Tick, and thought its primary mammalian blood food source it furry, it would not pass up an opportunity to feed off of a human.  Ticks are known disease vectors and you can educate yourself about Tick borne diseases on the CDC website.

Location: South Park, Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Blood Engorged Tick

1. Gina says:

The dog we’re doggy-sitting had a tick like the engorged one shown, but when I found it on the floor, it was not filled with blood, but a tar-like black sticky substance. Does this mean it had been on her so long that the blood turned into that? I will have the owner bring her to the vet tomorrow, but just wanted to check as we’d never seen anything like this.

Thank you.