Subject: Harbinger of Armageddon?
Location: Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Hi Bugman!
This recently deceased trespasser found its way into my garage where it met a swift end. I was wondering what it was as the internet has been of no help!
He was about 1.5” long. Was very slow moving. His back was quite shiny. It is October and we live in Virginia.
Signature: Considered burning my house down after finding this.

Lost Female Banded Argiope

Lost Female Banded Argiope

Dear Considered burning my house down after finding this,
You are overreacting. This was a mature, female Banded Argiope, a harmless orbweaver that only survives a single season. They do not stray from their webs so something must have caused her to scuttle clumsily along the ground and right into your broom.  Banded Argiopes are capable of biting a human, but they are reluctant to do so. Should a human happen to get bitten, the reaction would be similar to a bee with local swelling and sensitivity. When Armageddon arrives, it will have nothing to do with this luckless Banded Argiope, nor any of her relatives.

Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia