Subject: type of longhorned beetle
Location: Ontario, Canada
Hi there,
Hoping you can help me identify this bug!
Location: Renfrew County, Ontario, Canada
Season: Winter (December/January)
-boring oval shaped holes in oak firewood and possibly affecting elm and birch trees as well.
-Wood was brought into home in December, insects started appearing soon after.
-leaves small piles of sawdust outside of bore holes
-looks a lot like a banded alder borer, but wings are different
-makes an audible squeaking noise
Signature: Emily

Longhorned Borer Beetle:  Sarosesthes fulminans

Longhorned Borer Beetle: Sarosesthes fulminans

Hi Emily,
We quickly identified your Longhorned Borer Beetle as
 Sarosesthes fulminans thanks to photos that are posted to BugGuide.  The only information on the BugGuide information page is the habitat listed as:  “under bark and sapwood of hardwoods, esp. chestnut and oak.”  When the wood was brought indoors, the beetles were in either the larval or pupal stage.  The indoor warmth caused them to emerge early.  The holes are a result of the emergence.  You do not need to worry about them infesting your home or your wooden furnishings.  Many Longhorned Borer Beetles squeak when disturbed.  The sound is caused by rubbing body parts together and it is known as stridulation.  Putting a pin through a living insect might be considered cruelty to many folks.

Holes in log caused by Borer emergence

Holes in log caused by Borer emergence

Thank you so much for your quick identification of the Sarosesthes fulminans! I was trying to get the ID for a third party (I personally would NEVER pin a living insect) and the photos were sent to me from a private citizen who thought it might be the invasive Asian Long horned beetle, which is a big concern in Ontario. I spent about an hour attempting to find the species online, and decided to try you site! (Most of the entomologists we normally deal with were still on Christmas vacation last week) I appreciate the information and your quick response! Thanks again!
Yours in Conservation,
Emily C Johnston
Invasive Species Intern
Invading Species Awareness Program
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Thanks for the followup information Emily.  Our editorial staff teaches at the college level and we just returned to work today, but we update the website from our home offices.

Location: Ontario, Canada