Subject: California trapdoor?
Location: Olympia,WA
Howdy! I was rollerblading along a trail by my house and I saw this big guy stomping his way across the path. I skidded to a hault and he did too. Being a spider lover, I took some pictures. Afterwards I scooped him up and set him on the other side of the trail. When I got home the only thing that I could find that looks anything like him was a California trapdoor spider. I think he is quite a jog from his home, but after doing some research it appears that there have been other sightings of this spider in Washington. I love your website, and I hope the pictures help you identify the dude.
Signature: ~Marly

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Hi Marly,
While this is a Trapdoor Spider, it is a different species than the California Trapdoor Spider.  We found a very good match to a female Folding Door Trapdoor Spider,
Antrodiaetus pacificus, that is posted to BugGuide.  There is no additional information on this species on BugGuide.  We believe it is unusual to find a female Trapdoor Spider roaming.  The females which are more long lived are usually sedentary, and the shorter lived males are the ones that wander in search of a mate.

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Location: Olympia, Washington