Subject: Head louse?
Location: San Diego
I just found this while brushing my daughters hair. It is magnified 40x. Do we have lice?
Signature: Worried mom

Head Louse

Head Louse

Dear Worried mom,
Sadly, you are correct.  This is a Human Louse and we would urge you to seek professional help and advice for correctly eradicating them from your family since they do spread.  Your daughter might have contracted the Lice from school, so you might also want to contact your daughter’s school or daycare facility.  There is still some stigma attached to a Lice infestation, so you should urge the school officials to respect your honesty and anonymity.  While we sympathize with your situation, we are grateful that you have been able to contribute such an excellent and detailed image of this miniscule bloodsucker.  More information can be found on the Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences Entomology site.

Thank you. I started treatment right after I asked… Just in case. Thank you again.

Location: San Diego, California