Subject: what bug is this?
Location: Oregon
January 2, 2014 12:33 am
Saw this thing flying around my house. It landed on my couch. I trapped it in a zip lock bag. Seems aggressive…
Signature: Joel

Zip Locked Rove Beetle

Zip Locked Rove Beetle

Dear Joel,
We hope you let this Rove Beetle free after taking the digital image.  You would most likely be angry if you found yourself in a Zip Lock Bag, and you might even act out aggressively.  That said, this is a Rove Beetle, and they are truly fascinating beetles.  Their flight wings are folded and hidden beneath the small elytra, which means the Rove Beetles are softer bodied than most beetles that have elytra or wing covers which are hard and which cover the entirety of the abdomen.  Rove Beetles might be a threat to small arthropods and land molluscs, however, they pose no danger to humans as they do not possess any venom.  They do have scent glands in the abdomen and they often posture with the tail bent over the head in a position reminiscent  of the threat pose of a stinging Scorpion.  The Devil’s Coach Horse is one especially daunting looking Rove Beetle.  Your individual is not a Devil’s Coach Horse and we do not recognize your species and this is a very, very large family.  

Location: Oregon