Subject: Flying insect
Location: Newcastle, NSW. Australia.
Can you please help me identify this flying insect that has appeared in our garden in the past month (December 2013). There are quite a few of them, and they appear to like burrowing in the soil and lawn. They are not aggressive, but large enough to give you a fright!!
Signature: The bugman

Blue Flower Wasp

Blue Flower Wasp

Happy New Year.  This is our first posting of 2014.  This is a Blue Flower Wasp, Scolia soror, and we have also seen alternative common names including Black Flower Wasp, Hairy Blue Flower Wasp or Hairy Flower Wasp, depending upon the source.  According to the Victoria Museum fact sheet:  “These wasps will most likely be seen flying just above ground level and in particular flying near or around compost heaps, wood heaps or dead stumps of trees.”  The site goes on to explain:  “Adult female flower wasps are designed to dig. They are large and powerful wasps. The female wasps are often seen visiting compost heaps or wood piles or flying around the dead stump of a tree. They are searching for scarab beetle grubs (such as the Christmas beetle group) in the ground and are quite capable of digging into compost heaps or saw-dust of a tree stump to find beetle grubs.  …. However, many wasps have developed the technique of paralysing their prey and laying an egg inside the host. The hatched larva then feed inside the living host. Flower wasps are one such group of wasps.  Having located a beetle grub, the female stings and lays an egg inside it. The sting from the wasp does not kill the beetle grub but only paralyses it. There is a good reason why the female wasp does not kill the beetle grub. If the sting were to kill the beetle grub, then its tissue would immediately start to rot and decompose. When the wasp egg hatches inside the paralysed beetle grub it is surrounded by living tissue – the food that it needs to eat. The developing wasp larva knows which parts of the beetle grub to eat first to prolong the grub’s life for as long as possible; thus maximizing the chances of complete development of the wasp larva.”  We have read that female Blue Flower Wasps are capable of stinging humans, but they rarely do.  Carelessly handling a Blue Flower Wasp may result in a sting, but since they do not defend their young, there is little chance of being stung while observing a female in search of food for her offspring.

Location: Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

44 Responses to Blue Flower Wasp from Australia

1. Elaine Ward says:

blue flower wasps swarming in my front garden in Mount Eliza Victoria

• Michele says:

This is the first time that I have ever seen a blue flower wasp in my twenty odd years of gardening, hence my looking at this site. The coincidence is that I live in Mount Eliza where the previous respondent also lives. They are very lovely looking insects!

2. Rose Lovejoy says:

Hi, My name is Rose and I live in the ACT. I am pretty sure we have these wasps in our garden and have had for a couple of years. They are continuously flying around the garden and never landing,that we see anyway. I happened to catch one this morning, I thought it was caught in the fence, however after reading this blurb, maybe she was burrowing into the soil. Do they do any damage to the garden is my question? Is there a benefit to having them? They are mostly here in the morning hours. I have a photo of it.

Many people would consider Flower Wasps beneficial in the garden because they prey upon Scarab Larvae and pollinate flowers.

3. Trevor says:

Have spotted 6 of these glorius wasps i n my front yard in Mornington Victoria.
    I haven’t seen these big beauties for 40 years when i lived in Frankston.

4. Carolin says:

Just seen one digging in my garden.
    I’ve been a keen gardener for 25 years but haven’t seen one before.
    Nunawading, Victoria.

5. Sue says:

Have just seen a swarm in my front garden this morning. Beautiful! I’m in Kaleen, Canberra.

6. Lesley Coombs says:

We have had these blue flower wasps for a few weeks now. They only seem to be interested in our lemon tree.

7. Sue says:

Forgot to say these wasps have only arrived since I planted blue flowering perennials in my front garden. Who would have thought…

8. Andrew says:

I think the females are what we used to call bluebottles in Tassie when I was a kid. See plenty in my garden in Sale.

9. Paula says:

Have just seen one of these beauties in my vegetable garden, had never seen one in my 50 years of gardening , so lovely

10. Adam says:

Just spotted one in my front yard in yallambie victoria. First time I’ve ever seen one. Particularly large and intimidating thing. Beautiful colour! The blue in the light is mesmerizing. I reckon a sting would suck from one of these.

11. Ant says:

One today In Kilmore Victoria, was like a flying alien jewel, it flew around and around me many times as I turned almost dancing to watch in turn.

I could never call this a black flower wasp, was luminous blue …and so beautiful

12. Lee says:

My first sighting of a blue flower wasp .. it was having a drink of water from my bucket. I managed to take a few photos as it appeared to be enjoying sitting in the water for 5 minutes having a bath! Beautiful coloured wings.

13. Marian Kerin says:

I saw a Blue Flower Wasp fly up to the back porch step this year. I live in North Coburg Vic. It only stayed a few seconds but it made a lasting impression being such a beautiful colour blue. It was about the same size as a European wasp.

14. Louris Le Sauvage says:

Have been onbsering these beauties for the last 3 weeks – have never seen them before either here in Bayside Brisbane or in Mt Martha Vic…
    pleased to know they are relatively harmless….,

15. Bree says:

I had about 20 or more swarming my lavender late last year in ACT… Never seen them before either. Beautiful!

16. Linda Livingston says:

Bermagui, NSW. January, 2018. Ten or so blue wasps have taken up residence in my herb and vegetable garden. They particularly seem to like the passionfruit. Beautiful. Glad they are friends not foes.

17. Deb says:

I’ve seen two of these interesting critters this morning while out with my chooks. One I rescued from one of the chooks water dishes, the other I rescued from another dish. Never seen them here in the 14 years I’ve been here. Nice to know I rescued a “Nice” bug 😉

18. Astrid says:

We currently have a population explosion on our farm near Junee, NSW – possibly associated with hot weather and the flowering of eucalyptus citriodora (lemon scented gum). Although beautiful, their sting is extremely painful – more painful than a bee sting. One was caught in my shirt and stung three times before I managed to free it. The pain from the stings lasted all day and then the site became extremely itchy. The swelling/welts kept spreading and covered at least 10-15 cms, taking 8 days to ‘settle’ despite applications of antihistamine cream. So, care should be taken, especially if you have small children.

19. Paul Martin says:

Yes. As a child I was stung and it had a lasting impact on me.
    I must say, I’m a fan of these beautiful insects though.

20. Mani says:

Very common in Australia. you hardly see even though common in our garden because they fly very fast. you can see the swarm of these wasp flying 25-35 degree temperature. Very beautiful metallic colour wings. Monash University Clayton Campus has a lot and around urban area of Victoria.

21. I found a dead blue flower wasp on my indoor windowsill. what a beautiful insect. Have a lovely photo of it. A few weeks ago I found a turquoise pray mantis in the garden, alive and also beautiful. I live in Boya W a.

22. Sam Cooney says:

Following the Mt Eliza thread of this conversation, I too have spotted one in my garden this afternoon. I wonder why they are in our area all of a sudden? I’ve never seen them here before either.

23. Ian says:

I have just noticed many of these this morning for the first time. I’m in inner northern suburbs of Melbourne. There are at least a dozen of them flying around our lemon tree. I’m hoping they’re not detrimental to the citrus. Anyone know?

24. Kym says:

Think I just saw one of these in my garden near the flowering blue salvia, I’m in the Noarlunga area, SA, never seen one before and we’ve been here for 16 years. may be because it’s the second year of the salvia which has gone a bit feral! and as it is so hot and dry over here, the salvia edges the veg patch, so it is considerably cooler and the ground would be softer… did not get a photo as was trying to work out whether it was friend or foe!

25. Andrew says:

Watching around 50 vivid Blue Flower Wasps flying low around a mulched regrowth area at Tidal River, Wilson’s Prom, Victoria. Took ages to spot one on the ground to get a good look then found this web site and was able to identify them. Beautiful. Seems the ones that are landing for a minute or two are larger and are visited for a few seconds by smaller ones. Mating?

26. Jim Fowler says:

About 2 days ago I saw one of these magnificent wasps near Merri Creek in Clifton Hill. Took my breath away.
    Jim

27. Sue Woods says:

2 of these superb insects sighted in the garden over the past fortnight, in Mount Martha. Took some research to identify them. Sue

28. Melanie says:

I just spotted one of these digging next to my veggie patch – so beautiful! First time I’ve ever seen one in my life – I take it my garden is heathy for insect life – which I am keen for

29. Allisbella says:

Just watched one flying around.
    Thought it was very attractive until I found out it is a singing wasp.
    Could this wasp be part of the reason for the massive decline in Christmas Beetles as they are their preferred food

30. Sandi says:

We are on the Central Coast and quite a large number of these large beautiful insects suddenly appeared in my top garden. They zoom around close to the ground and don’t seem to rest (so getting a good look in order to identify one was quite difficult). Thank you for the information. I now understand why they are there.

31. Michelle says:

Thrilled to see such a large, glossy insect just outside our house in Darlinghurst, Sydney. I had earlier swept lots of spent blossoms from the Queensland Box onto the pavement plantings as mulch, and this wasp was hovering around them in the afternoon. I had never seen one before.

32. Ugbootshuffler says:

Kids identified one through in the backyard yesterday (Shell Cove, NSW) and confirmed through this website. Great info, thanks!

33. John says:

Just found a dead one outside my back door. Very hot and windy day here so that may have been the cause of its demise. What a wonderful looking insect.

34. Sylvia says:

I have seen two for the first time in my Glen Waverley, Melbourne garden a couple of days ago, first one on lavender bush, then it buried itself in the mulch below. Second one (or maybe same one) two days later in front garden checking out mulch. Beautiful insect. Identified it via this website, many thanks.

• Neri says:

I just researched and found a bluebottle was an ? so totally different insect.. But never the less,anything with a big stinger is still a bit scary for me.. It was great to be able to find out about it from this web site so thanks.

35. dallas stribley says:

Found a dead one in my back yard in St Kilda today. Never seen one before, so researched it, and found this informative post – thanks everyone! Really beautiful insect.

36. Neri says:

I haven’t seen one of these for forty years, it landed on my brothers head and we were all screaming. So when I saw one today flying in my backyard in Scoresby, I freaked out then looked up what it was, beautiful colour but I was scared of it. I think we called it a bluebottle back then.

37. Anne says:

Found one in the garden in Bombala today. How beautiful… never seen one before

38. Wendy Forsyth says:

Was able to identify this cute bug via this website. I had never seen them before in 40 years of gardening- neither here in Vermont South nor in central Victoria. First time has been this year. As mentioned above I also don’t see them land- except briefly one did just now. What stunning blue wings they have!

39. Irene says:

I just saw one in my basil pot. What lovely blue wings it had. Striking looking black insect. It flew away just as I got closer to take a photo of it. I live in Pascoe Vale South, Melbourne. It is my first time seeing one of these black beauties.