Subject: Tiny Bugs on sofa?
Location: Los Angeles
Can you tell me what these are? Found them in the cushions around a fabric sofa in my living room.
We live in L.A., CA. Thought maybe immature bed bugs, but don’t look right.
Signature: Stownsend

Blood Sucking Conenose Bug Nymphs

Blood Sucking Conenose Bug Nymphs

Dear Stownsend,
We would love to get a second opinion on this matter, but we are pretty certain that these are the immature nymphs of a Bloodsucking Conenose Bug in the genus
Triatoma.  Also known as “Kissing Bugs, Big Bed Bugs, Mexican Bed Bugs, Bellows Bugs” according to BugGuide, Blood Sucking Conenose Bugs are a known vector for Chagas Disease.  Though this tends to occur more often in the tropics, there have been occurances of Chagas Disease in the U.S.   See this photo on BugGuide for comparison.  We would urge you to take immediate action to eliminate these Bloodsucking Conenose Bug nymphs.

Blood Sucking Conenose nymphs

Blood Sucking Conenose nymphs

Ed. Note
We get slightly annoyed when we respond to an identification request and then we receive a spam blocker reply like the one below.  We generally ignore them but in this case, we decided to take the time to decipher the cryptic code that ensures the email came from a person and not some internet bot.

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.
To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.
If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Thank you Daniel.  That certainly looks like the critters.  I still have the nymphs.  the Los Angeles County Agricultural comm. Entomologist wants to examine them for ID.  Can I send one to you or somewhere?
Thanks so much for your help.   Stanley Townsend, Los Angeles

Hi Stanley,
You are best to send them to the the county agency and you may want to contact the LA County Museum of Natural History.  We do not accept specimens, only photographs.  Please let us know what you learn.

Location: Los Angeles, California