Subject: Bugs in my Bathroom
Location: West Michigan
Recently I have been finding these bugs all around on the floor of my bathroom. They are usually lying on their backs and look like they are dead, but when I pick them up they try to crawl away. They are approximately 5/8inch long. Are Blackish brown, with a tannish colored band around them. They don’t seem harmful, but I do not care much for creepy crawlies in my home. I have looked at hundreds of pictures online, but could not find them. I would really appreciate it if you could identify them for me. Thank You!
Signature: Buggy Bathroom

Larder Beetle

Larder Beetle

Dear Buggy Bathroom,
Despite the extreme blurriness of your image, the pattern on this Larder Beetle,
Dermestes lardarius, is very evident.  Larder Beetles infest stored foods, including dried meats and pet food.  Perhaps you have a large bag of pet food that they are feeding upon.  According to the Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences Entomology site:  “The larder beetle is a commercial pest as well as a household pest. This is a cosmopolitan species which was historically a pest of cured meats in Europe, the United States, and Canada. The use of refrigeration, the purchase of meats in small quantities, and the lack of home curing of meats, have decreased the economic importance of this insect. However, these beetles are still common in homes, museums, mills, livestock facilities, and any place that contains a suitable food source. Typically, these would include any animal by-product such as dried dog food, furs, hides, and feathers. Also, many pantry items can become infested. Another potential food source are dead insects in attic and wall voids that become trapped when they seek an overwintering site. In the fall insects such as flies, bugs, beetles and wasps, accumulate in attics and similar spaces in the home. Many of the hibernating insects die, attracting larder beetles which lay eggs on dead insects. The larvae of the larder beetle then feed on the dead insects.”  We would encourage you to search out the site of the infestation, and it might not necessarily be in the bathroom.

Thank You so much, I don’t know how I missed that picture. This is definately what they are. I started seeing the Larve first then the beetles shortly after I bombed my house for fleas, so they may be feeding on other dead bugs in the walls.   Thank you again.

Location: michigan

2 Responses to Larder Beetles

1. Lula Lucas says:

I been finding these in my bathroom as well, how do you get rid of them, the master bath room and master bed room is where I have them and that is the only place until this morning where I receintly found one on my end table in the living room. I hate creapie crawly things help me tell me what will get rid of these bugs.

• Cath says:

I found these when I moved in .. they were in every room.. when they are larvae i used toilet duck.. citrus freshness… kills them straight away.. for the carpets boric acid.. i do it once a month till i found out recently my next door neighbour had a family of rats.. so now i know were they are came from.. but.. they fly.. they bite.. they dont like light.. so they mostly come out at night .. I used the torch on my phone.. to actually go hunting the brutes..