Subject: Western Conifer Seed Bug…I think
Location: Irvine, CA
I spent so much time admiring this handsome critter that I was late clocking back in from lunch! Thanks to your website in conjunction with Google image search, I believe it to be a Western Conifer Seed Bug, or some closely related species. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo; it was taken with my cell phone. Thank you for your entertaining and informative website, and for your assistance in IDing this little guy. Gal. Bug.
Signature: SMTO

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear SMTO,
We wish we were flies on the wall when you had to explain to your boss that you were late from lunch because you were enthralled by a bug.  This invasive exotic species is nowhere near as exciting as some of our native species.  You might miss the end of the week should you ever encounter a Tarantula Hawk, a Western Shorthorned Walkingstick, a Mourning Cloak or a Potato Bug, which can all be found in Irvine.

Thank you for the quick response!  Actually, it was easy to explain, since I was taking the picture when my boss got back from his own lunch break.  And yes, potato bugs–we find those in our yard quite often.  The dogs are freaked out by them 🙂  I’ve never taken any pics of those, but I do have some (in my humble opinion) nice shots of a mourning cloak hanging out on a motorcycle.

Thank you for attaching your Mourning Cloak photo.  We used a lovely image of a Viceroy on a Motorcycle when we produced a What’s That Bug? calendar back in 2006.

Location: Irvine, California