Subject: scorpion in South Georgia
Location: Screven, Georgia
December 29, 2013 5:53 am
hello
yesterday (December/28/2013) i found a tiny scorpion in my back yard. its maybe a little bit bigger than my pinky nail. we were building up a fire when i saw it on the ground near it. i had been picking up pieces of wood from an old pile and cutting down some brush to add into the fire. i was wondering if you could help me identify the type of scorpion, how venomous it is, and how large it gets. i was also thinking of keeping it as a pet and wonder what insects i should feed it and how often.
Signature: Edgar Flores

Hentz Striped Scorpion

Hentz Striped Scorpion

Dear Edgar,
This looks to us like the Hentz Striped Scorpion,
Centruroides hentzi, pictured on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, this species has been found in Georgia and Florida.  It is our understanding that Scorpions with small pincers and larger tails are more venomous, but we cannot verify that.  We suggest you post your photo and questions to a forum like Arachnoboards if you want advice on keeping this little beauty in captivity.  In the meantime, you can try feeding small crickets that are available at a pet store.  It is our understanding that this species is often found under the peeling bark of downed pine trees.

Location: Screven, Georgia