Subject: South African Grasshopper
Location: False Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
December 28, 2013 4:54 am
I’m having trouble identifying this little chap I found in my garden – he is only a couple of centimetres long, and nothing in my insect book looks quite like him.
I’m new to the Bug world, so not sure yet quite how diverse the colours get within some classifications, and would appreciate a definitive identification !
Thank you.
Signature: Cathy

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Hi Cathy,
This is an immature Grasshopper, and it is generally adult insects that are picture in guide books, which may be the reason you are having difficulty in your identification.  Alas, we haven’t the necessary skills with South African species to be able to provide you with an identification, but perhaps one of our readers will write in with something helpful.  Your photos are quite beautiful.

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

4 Responses to Unknown Grasshopper from South Africa

1. Cathy Withers-Clarke says:

Thank you so much – I wouldn’t even have known that it is an immature one ! Based on that, I’m leaning toward him being Eyprepocnemis plorans – appears to be the most similar in my book.

We believe it is a nymph because of the very short wing pads which we believe will eventually develop into wings capable of flight as the insect continues to molt and grow.

2. Cathy Withers-Clarke says:

Awesome – I wasn’t sure if that was patterning and he would turn out to be a Bush Hopper. I do wish I’d discovered you clever people before now !

3. Charl says:

Cathy try http://www.ispot.org.za/ I’m sure you’ll get your answer there.