Subject: Dead Leaf mantis
Location: Mumbai, India
I would have never seen this fellow if he didnt fly right into us!!
beautiful camouflage. this was the best photo i could click, he was too active for me to focus!
Signature: Sid

Wandering Violin Mantis

Wandering Violin Mantis

Hi Sid,
The quality of your photograph is much higher than most of the images we receive.  Despite the resemblance to dead leaves, this is actually a Wandering Violin Mantis,
 Gongylus gongylodes, and based on the information we have learned on the sexual dimorphism in this species on A Gardener’s Chronicle blog, she is a female.  Males have more feathery antennae and longer wings.

Location: Mumbai, India

2 Responses to Wandering Violin Mantis from India

1. Sid says:

Thanks for the prompt and accurate reply. the place where i work is filled with wonderful bugs and most of my free time is spent trying to capture them. Hope you dont mind me posting the photos over here! thanks again

Hi Sid,
      Your photos have been a wonderful addition to our archives, and most of our readership is from North America, so your Indian exotica is a treat, especially while much of the United States is in the throes of winter. Right now, it is a slower time for us, and when we get get busier, from May through October, we cannot guarantee a speedy response.