Subject: Any clue what this is?
Location: Southeast USA
I came across this while clearing dead leaves from a flowerbed near my house. It was just sitting on top of the mulch and at first I thought it was some sort of animal feces, but upon closer inspection, I noticed a smaller, nearly identical version laying next to it. I have no idea what this is or if its even a “bug.” I’ve searched online extensively, but to no avail. Any help with identifying this “thing” will be greatly appreciated.
Signature: Anonymous

Evicera perhaps

viscus perhaps

Dear Anonymous,
We do not believe these objects have any relation to insects or other bugs.  They remind us of viscera.  Perhaps a hawk or other predator eviscerated its prey near your flowerbed.  Years ago when we would feed the birds and large flocks of Mourning Doves would come to the yard to feed, we realized that we had created a smorgasbord for the Cooper’s Hawks that feed on birds.  Hawks would catch the doves and eviscerate them from the branches of a large carob tree and we frequently found viscera laying on top of the soil.  What’s in John’s Freezer has a photo of an eviscerated chicken to illustrate our opinion.

Viscera we believe

Viscera we believe