Subject: 2.5 – 3 ” beetle
Location: Navi Mumbai, India
December 23, 2013 3:52 am
I found this huge beetle outside my window the other day & am curious to know what it is. The size excluding the antennae was about 2.5 – 3″. It is winter here in Mumbai with day time temperatures ranging between 15-25 degrees celcius.
Signature: SJ

Batocera

Mango Stem Borer

Dear SJ,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the genus
Batocera, most likely the Mango Stem Borer, Batocera rufomaculata.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I had looked it up online earlier. But the sites did not mention that it is found in India!
Thank you very much for the information.
Regards
SJ

Hi Again SJ,
According to Discover Life:  “Mango and figs are the main hosts throughout India and South-East Asia, the main range of the species; however, many other hosts are known including rubber and
Dyera costulata . Duffy (1968) listed about 50 known hosts. The species has also been recorded as a pest of cashew timber ( Anacardium spp. ) in Kerala, India (Gnanaharan et al., 1985) and mulberry ( Morus spp. ) in India (Butani, 1978; Sharma and Tara, 1985).”  There is much publicity because of the introduction of the Mango Stem Borer to Israel, but India is part of the natural range.

Location: Navi Mumbai, India