Subject: Metal Looking Insect
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico
December 22, 2013 8:39 am
I found this insect on my metal balcony rail. It is 2.5 to 3cms in body length and blended in so well with the metal color that I almost did not see it. It is in the hills of Oaxaca, Mexico.
Signature: Paul Coleman

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Hi Paul,
This is a predatory Assassin Bug commonly called a Wheel Bug,
Arilus cristatus, or a closely related species in the same genus.  According to the Featured Creatures website:  “The wheel bug occurs throughout Florida. It has been reported from Rhode Island westward through Iowa and Nebraska to California, and southward to Texas and Florida. Blatchley (1926) included Mexico and Guatemala in its range. Wygodzinsky (1949) recognized four species of Arilus in this New World genus, but only cristatus occurs in the United States.”

Thanks very much for this information. It’s always nice to identify what I am taking pictures of.
 Paul Coleman, Earthwalker Ambassador of the Culture of Peace Initiative (CPI) , a United Nations-designated Peace Messenger Initiative, and Member of the Council Advisors for Pathways To Peace, The International Secretariat to CPI. Charity Ambassador to The Living Rainforest

Location: Oaxaca, Mexico