Subject: rattailed maggot safety
we have found rattailed maggots in our soaking seaweed and also in our fish fertilizer barrel. My questions are these.
Would these not be there unless a fly had accessed the water?
How safe are these maggots to feed to chickens( who love insects)?
Humans safety:Is there any problem with watering our vege garden with this water? with these in it ?
Signature: Margarette

Rattailed Maggots (from our archives)

Rattailed Maggots (from our archives)

Hi Margarette,
Rattailed Maggots are the larvae of Drone Flies and they are generally found in situations associated with decomposition, like foul water or compost piles.  To the best of our knowledge, they do not pose any threat to humans and you should be able to use your fertilizer as well as feed the chickens.  We once wrote an extensive response to someone who found Rattailed Maggots in a Comfrey Tea they were brewing.  You are correct that the female Drone Fly would have been attracted to the decomposition in the water and laid the eggs.

One Response to Rattailed Maggots

1. Curious Girl says:

I just want to say that the flies that come out of these maggots are pretty cool and helpful to pollination so they do not have to be chicken food.

Drone flies, Dead Head Flies, etc., are quite pretty even.