Subject: Madagascar insect
Location: Madagascar
Hi Daniel
My guide from my recent Madagascar trip just sent me this interesting photo that I wanted to send you. Sorry the quality isn’t great because I had to zoom in quite a bit. Would you have any idea? This is the only photo I have unfortunately. It doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before.
Signature: David

I’m looking at this again Daniel and what I thought were two “fangs” may be one “fang” and one of the insects forelegs on the far side. As a result I’m guessing maybe assasin bug nymph?

Assassin Bug Nymph

Assassin Bug Nymph

Hi David,
We believe you are correct that this is an Assassin Bug nymph, but we would not entirely discount the possibility that this is a representative from some group of insects that we are not familiar with.  There are also some anatomical similarities to the wingless Snow Scorpionfly photos posted to the Craneflies of Pennsylvania website and the Bug Tracks site (scroll down to see).

Location: Madagascar

One Response to Assassin Bug from Madagascar

1. davegball@gmail.com says:

Thanks Daniel. The scorpion fly suggestion is an interesting one.