Subject: is this some kind of wasp?
Location: victoria bc
Hi, I’ve seen this bug crawling on the window of the house, all I know that it fly’s, it walks slowly, and it smells rather old when you step on it (probably a defense mechanism). it look like an assassin bug but those live way the heck it the amazon. What is it? it look like halfway between spider and a wasp.
Signature: yes

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, and it is a Leaf Footed Bug or Big Legged Bug in the family Coreidae, not an Assassin Bug in the family Reduviidae.   The Western Conifer Seed Bug is a native species for you in British Columbia.  The range for the Western Conifer Seed Bug expanded significantly in the 1960s, and it is now found across much of the northern portion of North America.  The travel patterns of human most likely played a role in the range expansion, and in the early years of the 21st millennium, the Western Conifer Seed Bug was reported in northern Europe where it is now established.  This species has a habit of entering homes to hibernate when the weather cools, and that habit likely played a part in the range expansion with stowaways in suitcases.  The best way to avoid the smell produced when stepping on Western Conifer Seed Bugs is not to step on them.  We would also like to clarify your erroneous assumption that Assassin Bugs are only found in the Amazon.  There are different species in the Assassin Bug family found all over the world.

Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada