Subject: What kind of wasp is this?
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
I found this in our backyard and was wondering exactly what it is and is it dangerous. We live in Adelaide, South Australia. Thanks.
Signature: Jacob

Ichneumon

Ichneumon

Hi Jacob,
This is some species of Ichneumon, a large and diverse group of parasitoid wasps that are not considered dangerous to humans.  The female uses her ovipositor, which is visible in your photo, to deposit her eggs, often directly into the body of the host insect or arthropod.  Most Ichneumons are very host specific, and the prey include many different orders, including butterflies and moths, true bugs and other wasps.  We hope to eventually determine a species identification for this unusual Ichneumon.

Location: Adelaide, South Australia

3 Responses to Unknown Ichneumon from Australia

1. Steve says:

From what I have been told the Ichneumon you show in this photo (from Australia) is a good friend to all. What are referred to as ‘European Wasps’ which all Australians are now aware of, were an imported species hitching a ride on container ships and the like. Unlike the European climate, the Australian climate does not cool enough during winter to have a significant effect on these European wasps, and as such, their numbers are increasing. This is where your Ichneumon friend comes in. My information is that these wasps are parasitic, and lay their eggs in European wasp nests.

As such, I suggest that any Aussies reading this no longer kill this Ichneumon, and let it get to work on helping eradicate the imported nuisance.

2. Curious Girl says:

This seems to be the Orchid Dupe Wasp (though quite beat up). Lissopimpla excelsa. Female of course.