Subject: Pumpkin Spider?
Location: Southern California
December 16, 2013 9:47 am
This photo was taken on 10/17/2013, in southern California at the base of Mount Baldy. Its body was about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/2 an inch high. The body had 4 dimples on the top and the legs were striped orange and white. I just found this site the other day and absolutely love it!!! I have so many pictures of insects that I have found and don’t know what they are so I will be on this site a lot in the near future. Anyhow I believe from looking over your site that this is an pumpkin spider/marbled orbweaver but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help
Signature: Newest/Biggest fan

Orbweaver

Orbweaver

Dear Newest/Biggest Fan,
We are happy you are enjoying our site.  While this Orbweaver is orange and is a member of the same family as the Pumpkin Spider, it is a different species of Orbweaver.  It might be a Cat Faced Spider,
Araneus gemmoides, but we cannot say for certain.  See images on BugGuide for comparison.  We look forward to getting additional images from you.

Location: Mount Baldy, California

2 Responses to Orbweaver from Southern California

1. Douglass Moody says:

This is most likely a pale-colored “Jewel orbweaver” (Araneus gemma). The four dimples, pronounced hips, and banded legs are characteristic.