Subject: Whats this Bug?
Location: Kloof, Durban, South Africa
December 17, 2013 12:53 am
Hi There,
I found this bug on a door frame the other day and was fascinated by it. Whilst trying to move it to safety, as the door could swing close, he / she flew away.
I live in Kloof, Durban, South Africa.
Signature: Richard Chivers

Longicorn

Longicorn

Dear Richard,
This is some species of Longicorn or Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  The extreme length of the antennae indicates that this is a male.  We will try to determine a species for you.

Longicorn

Longicorn

Re: Longicorn from South Africa – December 17, 2013
Hi Daniel and Richard:
I am not certain, but I believe your longicorn belongs in the genus Monochamus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae:  Lamiini); probably M. spectabilis. This species is widely distributed throughout most of Africa south of the Sahara, as well as Madagascar. None of the online photos I could find were a perfect match, but variability is common, especially in widely distributed species. Here is an example from Tanzania. Perhaps the best match I found was from Madagascar (click on the second image). This last one shows the prominent ridges on the elytra that are evident in Richard’s first photo, but are not apparent in all the images I found. Perhaps this is a male characteristic. Regards. Karl

That looks like a pretty good match to us Karl.  Thanks so much.

Location: Kloof, Durban, South Africa