Subject: Found in clothes pile
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
December 11, 2013 7:59 am
I had some clothes laying on the carpet for 4 days and put them into the kitchen this morning. Returning home to do laundry I saw one bug on floor (squish!). Then looked back up putting clothes into washer and noticed the towel had a few of them in it. Removed clothes and shook out onto the tile flooring. Commenced squishing bugs!! 10 maybe found. Then a couple more on the counter top where they had layed all morning. Took the best picture with my iPhone.
Signature: MSH

Cockroach Nymph

Cockroach Nymph

Dear MSH,
This is an immature Cockroach.

Did some searching around upstairs and found the mother ship already dead.  Is it common for the female to die after laying eggs?  By chance how many off spring could there be ? Is this a specific variety?
Thank you,
MSH

Cockroach

Possibly Surinam Cockroach

Hi again MSH,
Female Cockroaches do not lay eggs, but rather an ootheca or egg case.  The Ootheca of a Cockroach looks somewhat like a grain of black rice.  We are not certain how many nymphs hatch from a typical Ootheca, but we would guess about 50.  We will try to get more accurate information for you and we will also try to identify this species which does not look like a typical Cockroach we find in Los Angeles, nor do the nymphs.

Update:  December 15, 2013
I thought it’s only fare to give you a bit of info as far as my travels.  I am from Texas, was there for nine months traveling between San Diego, Arizona, and Fort Worth. In the last 3 months I traveled to Virginia for a few days and then flew to Frankfurt Germany before reaching Jeddah, KSA. Since being here I had neighbors from France move in next door.  Our buildings are not connected.  In fact my building is a stand alone.  I have carried mainly 3 suit cases all this time.  So the chances are everywhere that this bug hitched a ride from somewhere else.  Either with me or a neighbor.  Since the day I found the little nymphs  and big roach I have not seen any others.  I keep checking daily but no other small or big have popped up.  Well that’s my good news anyways.  Thanks again.
MSH

Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

2 Responses to Possibly Surinam Cockroach Nymph and adult from Saudi Arabia

1. Steve says:

This looks like a Surinam cockroach, a cosmopolitan tropical species.