Subject: What kind of bug is this?
Location: Malaysia
December 10, 2013 3:38 am
I found this weird-looking insect during my holiday in Malaysia. What is this? I think, this is possibly a type of mosquito.
Signature: Lanzz

What's That Bug???

Possibly Crane Fly

Dear Lanzz,
We have no idea what this insect is, but we do not believe it is a Mosquito.  Our best guess is a Crane Fly, but it is a very unusual Crane Fly.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to supply a comment with an answer.  We apologize, but our allotted time for research has expired and we have to head for work to give a final examination.

Erwin provides an interpretation
Subject: unknown Malaysian insect
December 11, 2013 3:12 am
I would like to give an interpretation of the strange photo presented by Lanzz.
In my eyes there is a dead stick insect lying on the ground, with two legs missing. A tiny part of one of these missing legs can be seen near the insect. And I see another planarium-like creature or maybe a slug attached to the body of the stick insect and maybe feeding on it.
(I know my English is not 100% perfect, but I hope I can make myself understand)
Signature: Erwin Beyer

Close up showing hidden antennae

Close up showing hidden antennae

Update:  December 11, 2013
We are posting an enlarged view in response to Erwin’s comment.  In a lower resolution image, Erwin’s explanation seems possible, however, we took a vertical image of the insect on a wall and rotated it to maximize its size on our site.  The original file was reduced in resolution to be web compliant.  This appears to be a pair of wings held above the body.  At the right of the image, partially obscured by the leg, is the head with tiny antennae.  We do not believe this is a dead Stick Insect being eaten by a Planarium.  We are not certain that it is a Crane Fly, but we do believe it is a flying insect.

Location: Malaysia

7 Responses to Unknown Fly from Malaysia

1. Lanzz says:

Thanks for answered my question. I agree with you, it look like a weird Crane Fly.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/11305245086/

2. Lanzz says:

Hi, this is not a dead Stick Insect being eaten by a Planarium.

It have six leg , and it can fly. The size of this insect is approximately 10 mm long. I found many of these on the wall of my house.

3. Lanzz says:

Yes, it look similar. But, they also can’t identified it…