Subject: unkown bug
Location: Brigadoon Western Australia Perth
December 10, 2013 7:02 am
I don’t know much about entoemology and generally find the answers to my questions of what’s that bug from my family and friends. This time however I’ve not managed to find an answer and google hasn’t yielded any results. I would very much like to know what this is so I can stop traipsing the internet for an answer.
Signature: thankyo uvery much Chez

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

Hi Chez,
Many years ago, we received a similar image that we identified as a Pie Dish Beetle, but it took us five more years to identify it to the species level.  We believe you have submitted an image of a Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle,
Helea perforata.

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

There are many more images online now than there were when we first were asked to identify this unusual Darkling Beetle, and now you can find great images on Friends of Queens Park Bushland where it states:  “Pie-dish beetles feed on dead and decaying plant material.  Pie-dish beetles lay their eggs in moist soil during summer and autumn, usually under clumps of rotting plant material, under which adults often shelter. Females of some species can lay up to 1,000 eggs during their life spans. The rate of egg production appears to be related to temperature. So is the time of hatching, which ranges from seven to fourteen days after the eggs were laid.
After hatching, the larvae can be found in loose clusters on the top of moist soil, dispersing as they develop. When fully grown, they burrow deeper into wetter soil where they build a circular pupal chamber and change into pupae. One to three weeks later, the adults emerge. At first they are soft and light brown, but they harden after about a week and the body becomes dark brown or black, the colour depending on the species. Soon after emergence, mating occurs and eggs develop three or four weeks later. Adult pie-dish beetles can be relatively long-lived (up to a year).”  Esperance Blog has an image of a mating pair of Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetles.  Your comprehensive views of the individual you encountered are an excellent addition to our photo archive.

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

Hairy Backed Pie Dish Beetle

Yay!,
Thats an awesome name for a beetle and makes sense, we’ve recently built a compost bin by the house for our food scraps so I look forward to seeing more of these curious creatures wandering around the general area.
Thankyou very much
Chez

Location: Perth, Western Australia